The purpose is to increase the fullness of the lip(s) by making a small incision in each corner of the mouth; the surgeon makes a tunnel through the lip (s), extending from one side to the other, into which the implant is inserted.
The implant is a soft, flexible, sterile, medical-grade silicone that is specifically designed for the lip.
There will be swelling for an indeterminate period. Much of such swelling will normally disappear in 2-3 weeks and the remainder may require several months.
Bruising may persist for 1-2 weeks.
There may be areas of numbness over the lip (s) following surgery, which may persist for an indefinite period of time. In rare occasions, permanent areas of numbness may persist.
LIP AUGMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
BEGIN ONE DAY PRIOR TO SURGERY:
- Start taking Valtrex (Antiviral) 500 mg two times a day, starting one day prior to surgery…
- DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen products (i.e. Bufferin, Anacin, Advil, Motrin, Anacin-free, Excedrin) 1 week prior or 2 weeks post surgery. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is okay.
- Cleanse face prior to surgery (WEAR NO MAKE-UP TO THE OFFICE THE DAY OF SURGERY).
- DO NOT SMOKE! Smoking can cause poor wound healing and may result in bad scarring.
SUPPLIES FOR LIP AUGMENTATION:
- Prescriptions- pain medication, antibiotics, anti-viral.
- Small tube of Bacitracin or Neosporin ointment
- Small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
- Crushed ice and small Ziploc bags to make cool packs
- Vaseline, Carmex or Chapstick to keep lips moist
- Small Childs toothbrush
POST OP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Rest quietly the rest of your surgery day. The next day you can perform routine activities. No exercise for 1-2 weeks.
- Sleep on your back with head elevated using 3-4 pillows for at least 7 days to minimize swelling.
- No bending over, lifting or straining for 3-4 days.
- Eat foods that are soft and require minimal chewing. No hot or salty foods or fluids for 48 hours.
- NO SMOKING for at least two weeks after surgery. Smoking will inhibit your healing process.
- AVOID opening the mouth wide to prevent incision site separation (opening)
- Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after meals.
- Clean incisions at corner of mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide (½ hydrogen peroxide, ½ water) then apply antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, Polysporin) 3 times per day.
- Use cool compresses for 24 – 48 hours to reduce swelling. NO DIRECT ICE.
- Keep lips moisturized for 2-3 weeks with Vaseline, Carmex, or Chapstick.
1 WEEK POST SURGERY:
You willbe instructed on proper techniques to keep lip implant pocket open.
- Verify that the implant remains centered by pinching the tapered ends of implants with thumb and index fingers of each hand. Minor adjustment need to be made by slightly pushing one end of implant at a time if implants are not centered.
- Implant positioning will need to be checked several times a day for eight week.
(Check implants in the morning, after eating, excessive movement, and at bedtime)
2 WEEK POST SURGERY:
Stretching exercises should be performed 2-3 times a day for 2-3 months to help alleviate.
Excessive scar tissue formation.
- Stretching exercises are to be started (sutures must be gone, incision healed)
- Examples of stretching will include:
- Opening mouth widely.
- Excessive smiling (pulling lips tightly against teeth)